Monday, December 28, 2009

Instant Feedback: Those Irish Eyes Ain't Smiling...

As far as RAWs go, this week's edition wasn't terrible, which is an improvement over trend. Yeah, Timbaland was lolwut?-inducing, but at least he when he embarrassed himself, it wasn't because he wasn't trying to get the product over along with his own product, unlike a certain burnt out English metal head and his c-word of a wife. And the biggest problem on the show was that it felt like an extended 130-minute commercial for next week's slam-the-door-shut-on-TNA show, which is forgiveable in the grand scheme of things. Of course, they had better deliver next week or else it's all for naught, but let's stick with this week's show.

First off, the last image on RAW for the year being Sheamus' legit psychotic eyes was pretty freaking sweet if you asked me. I was skeptical about him as challenger for the title and even moreso as the Champion, but anything that is going wrong with this hasn't been his fault at all. The guy has carried himself like a Champion, but more importantly, as a guy who can physically impose upon Cena and upon any other face on the roster not named Mark Henry or Great Khali. Seriously, him looking like Jack Nicholson in the Shining holding the title up high and screaming that RAW belongs to him? I bought it. I think I bought Sheamus as Champion tonight. As long as the guy doesn't get into drugs or gets injured seriously, he's sticking around for a long time, folks. Like him or not (and I do), Sheamus is here to stay.

Speaking of injuries, I hope Evan Bourne didn't get hurt on that apparent botch at the end of his match with Ted DiBiase, Jr. It was on that leapfrog/alley-oop move. It looked like Bourne was supposed to land on the turnbuckles, but he landed face-first right on the mat. An ouch moment if I ever saw one. Hope you're fine, Evan. That's too nasty a fall for anyone to have to take. I guess if he shows up on ECW looking fine tomorrow night, we'll know our answer.

As for the answer to the question that fans who read the dirtsheets already knew, Vince McMahon officially announced Bret Hart's return. Again, the whole segment played too much like a commercial, but I do like where it's going. If it means an uneasy alliance between Hart and Shawn Michaels to get his WM rematch against Undertaker, well, it would be compelling television, but I feel uneasy about HBK being the guy to end Taker's streak. I don't know, that'll be something to gauge if and when it happens.

Oh, and the midget shit still sucks, but I definitely would have signed Chris Jericho's petition.

Like I said, it felt like a commercial most of the show, but then again, it felt like a commercial for something good. Instead of hyping some lame bullshit like "Little People's Court", they're hyping the return of a veritable legend as well as two huge matches. I have very high hopes for next week, but until then, I'll have my Smackdown vs. RAW game and several wrestling DVDs and DVR recordings to tide me over.