Thursday, September 8, 2011

Two DUI Arrests, Two Differing Reactions

Mugshot via TMZ
Via MovieLine

Kurt Angle had an interview with MovieLine, promoting his new movie Warrior. During said interview, he let this nugget fly:
So I actually signed a new three-year deal today with TNA. I’m going to stick with TNA.
Interesting the timing of this announcement. He was just nabbed for DWI, and now he's getting a contract extension. The last guy who got popped for DWI was Matt Hardy. What did he get afterwards? A pink slip. Seems curious, the double standard, especially since it was Hardy's first run-in with the law under contract, and this is Angle's fourth. Obviously, I'm not going to feign surprise or shock at the double standard, because I know why Angle gets rewarded and Hardy got the boot. I'm not even advocating that Hardy should have gotten another shot with the company.

What I am advocating is that instead of giving Angle another extension with no recourse, maybe they should push for him to get help. He clearly has a problem. He's clearly not gotten the help he needs to get his alcoholism under wraps, and yes, getting drunk and getting behind the wheel of a car smacks to me of alcoholism. I don't want to begrudge him a chance to make a career, but he's going to kill someone, whether it's himself or someone innocent.