Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Back in the Mask

Kane, reborn
Photo Credit: WWE.com

So, Kane returned to WWE last night. In somewhat of a swerve, instead of attacking the man who took him out (Mark Henry), he chokeslammed John Cena. That wasn't the important part, which was the fact that the Big Red Machine came back under a mask and with hair again. It's classic Kane, revamped for the '10s. I kinda figured that's where they'd be going with these "Kane Resurrected" vignettes, even if he was burning his mask in those segments. It felt like a Chekhov's Gun, done in hamfisted WWE style. The mask was in the vids and even though it was being destroyed, it obviously was going to come back into play.

That being said, I like the look. While I'm not in the camp that thinks Kane absolutely needed the mask to be fresh (I thoroughly enjoyed his run from Money in the Bank through the beginning of his feud with Edge last year), I think it does add an element to his character that makes him more than the also ran he was before he put Undertaker in a "vegetative state". I'm interested to see where 2012 takes Kane, since this is rumored to be his last year in the industry.