Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ashes Smolder, but for How Long?

Chikara_ippv_2012-342
Will Green Ant emerge from the shadows with a new uniform?
Photo Credit: Zia Hiltey

I made the mistake of not following up on the Ashes series after the Prelude episode aired. Two episodes since have been published, and I've embedded them after the jump:




First off, these videos have been beautifully shot. From a company that treats wrestling as the art that it is though, I'm not surprised. I'm left to wonder how much input Chikara/Mike Quackenbush has in how Smart Mark shoots their events and what cameras they use. I guess a price has to be paid to play the game. Either way, camera positioning, lighting, and focus are all top-notch.

Second, I wonder how Garbage was able to see the light of day with all that match footage. Wouldn't that much of a Dragon Gate USA product on free video constitute piracy? C'MON GABE, BE CONSISTENT HERE.

Third, and in all seriousness, these videos put a lot of moving parts in motion. The Colony is addressing where Soldier Ant went. Green Ant is given the tools to metamorphose, presumably by an old comrade of Fire's and Soldier's. Chuck Taylor has moved on, but Icarus hasn't. Icarus mentions that FIST has beaten Daniel Bryan, but has let the Vavasseur family take them down? Taylor puts Icarus' career in what he thinks is perspective, but which friend is right?

Outside of the series, the Gekido has resurfaced and for lack of a better term euthanized Wrestling Is Intense. Eddie Kingston's cantankerousness festers more and more by each day. The Soviet avatars grow by day. The Osirian Portal has reunited. A storm is on the horizon, but right now, I'm unclear whom it is going to blow away. I think saying "just sit back and enjoy the ride" might be a bit trite, because maybe the end result isn't so much to be enjoyed but to be mourned? I don't know. I hope this story ends with joy rather than remorse, but I'm not the artist here.