Monday, June 15, 2015

"The View Never Changes"

Father and son. Blood is thicker than water
Photo Credit: WWE.com
For those who don't follow me on Twitter or Facebook or whatever (and at this point, I'm not sure if anyone fits that bill), I am a father. My son is a toddler, and my daughter was born less than a year ago. I couldn't imagine my life without them, no matter what the circumstances. But as much as I love them, I have missed the mark in the past, and will miss it again in the future. I am imperfect, just like you are, just like everyone is, no matter how much they swear they aren't.

Dusty Rhodes was imperfect too, an imperfect man, and a self-admitted imperfect father. The best promos are the ones that draw from truth. Rhodes, as a father, chased his fame and fortune and may not have spent the attention his son Dustin deserved. As a result, the two played up the rift between them when they were together in World Championship Wrestling. Dustin was left on an island, and he was targeted. A father knew no matter how much he fucked up earlier in life, he could still be trusted. Blood was thicker than water. Family walks as equals. When you're a follower all your life though, the view never changes.

Hard Times might be the most famous spiel Rhodes ever unfurled, but this one may be the most emotional. It hit me the hardest, especially since I'm a dad, and I both never want to be in the same position where I tell my son I neglected him and to be in a position where I could be the everything for my children that Dusty offered Dustin.