Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Follow-Up: Lars Sullivan Fined, To Undergo Sensitivity Training

Sullivan's been fined
Photo Credit: WWE.com
So last week, I wrote about how Lars Sullivan shouldn't have a job. I bemoaned that WWE wouldn't do anything about it because the people in charge share the same values, only not as vitriolic in a public venue where they can be documented. The only way any action would be made is if someone went to the sponsors, which would then trigger a public relations headache. Sponsor-action has precedent, as Mars Wrigley Confectionery put pressure on them to remove Fabulous Moolah's name from the Women's WrestleMania Battle Royal after people pressured them not to name such a match after an abusive pimp. As it turns out, MWC once again was the player that would put the pressure on WWE to get something done.

Fans started writing the candy giant to act once again. They gave this response to people who wrote them:
"Dear Loyal Consumer,
Thank you for reaching out to Mars Wrigley Confectionery with your comments.

We learned of Lars Sullivan's comments recently and share in your shock and disgust. As a values-based company, we find his behavior abhorrent and unacceptable. We have engaged the WWE to discuss this situation and seek to understand what actions they will take to swiftly address this matter.

We hope this information is helpful and wish you a great day!

Your Friends at Mars Wrigley Confectionery"
Before I start with the facts here, allow me to interject that in no way do I think MWC deserves any praise for this. They're not a "values-based company" unless that value is cash. Associating with a company that allows bigots to work for them without fear of reprisal costs them money. Anyway, the outcry from fans and response from MWC got some balls rolling, first with Sullivan himself, who limply attempted to give an apology, "There is no excuse for the inappropriate remarks that I made years ago. They do not reflect my personal beliefs nor who I am today, and I apologize to anyone I offended." If you note here, he didn't apologize for being a racist, sexist, xenophobic idiot. He apologized if you were offended, which is like if I ran you over and then apologized if your day was inconvenienced.

Yesterday, more action came about, as it was announced Sullivan would be fined $100,000 and sent to sensitivity training. On one hand, WWE did something where I thought it wouldn't, which is shocking. Additionally, for a low-card guy, $100,000 is a lot of money, and White supremacists should be hit where it hurts. On the other, it still feels like a relative slap on the wrist. I am skeptical that sensitivity training would work for someone who professed to love a band that sang about how the Holocaust was good, and all sensitivity training might do is teach him how to hide his racism better. Plus, if he sticks with WWE, that $100,000 will end up being a drop in the bucket. All of this feels like a bunch of circus to deflect from the fact that Vince McMahon is a White supremacist and runs his company with those values in mind. Still though, they did something, for as flaccid and showy as it was, so I guess I have to say I was wrong in that respect. I don't take it as a big loss though.