Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Why I Don't Mind the 619

Part 1 of a two-part mini-series

This is not a bad move. NO.
Photo Credit: WWE.com

I've been critical of Rey Mysterio hate on the blog before. It doesn't baffle me, but it does bother me on a metaphysical level, since most of it is based in things he can't control, read, his booking. I used to think that the things he could control were at consensus levels. He's a mediocre promo at best (and that's being generous), but he was among the best workers in the world.

Funny, but there are people out there that think Rey is a bad worker. I cannot wrap my head around that because I don't think I've ever seen a bad Mysterio match, at least in recent memory. Maybe there was one in 2008 when he was against Kane most of the time that was subpar, but really, since the epic series with Chris Jericho over the Intercontinental Championship in 2009, I seriously can't remember a ReyRey match I've come out of thinking "man, that was terrible, and it was all because of Rey being a shitty worker in it." Not once.

Usually the reasoning they give for thinking Rey is a bigger abomination than Gene Snitsky wrestling John Heidenreich in a match where both guys were whacked out on NyQuil is because of the 619. Now, I can understand why this move might be bad. I mean, the set up for it involves a guy to lay down on the second rope, a spot that really doesn't happen a whole lot. Okay, I can see that being annoying. But the basis of why he's terrible? When guys, from as reviled as John Cena to beloved as Randy Savage, required similar levels of suspension of disbelief to make signature moves of their work? When the very basis of pro wrestling offense, the Irish whip, is the KING of contrived wrestling?

But I'm not here to defend the wrestler. No, I'm here to defend the move, its very existence. No one will debate it's a cool looking move. It is. But why does every match have to have the deus ex machina to get a guy in the position to take it? IT'S SO FAKE GUYZ!!!1

Except it isn't. Occam's Razor dictates that the best explanation is the most obvious one. The most obvious explanation for all those guys getting put in that position is maybe Rey Mysterio has gotten really good at getting guys put in that position over the years. I mean for real, is it that contrived to think that Rey has found out many different ways to get guys in position for his signature move? He's been wrestling since he was a zygote for fuck's sake, he should know a thing or two about doing his thing in the ring.

So there, the move looks cool, and it looks like it should be effective. I'm also sure that Rey has gotten good at getting people into position to take it. That's why I don't have a problem with the 619. If you do, that's on you, bucko.

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!