Thursday, July 9, 2020

Twitter Request Line, Vol. 299

The calendar doesn't need tweaking, but how it's used might
It's Twitter Request Line time, everyone! I take to Twitter to get questions about issues in wrestling, past and present, and answer them on here because 280 characters can't restrain me, fool! If you don't know already, follow me @tholzerman, and wait for the call on Wednesday to ask your questions. Hash-tag your questions #TweetBag, and look for the bag to drop Thursday afternoon (most of the time). Without further ado, here are your questions and my answers:

Reforming the calendar is hard work. I mean, the only real attempt that went into doing it in earnest was the Revolutionary French calendar, which was a good idea in theory and probably in practice as well. It's just when you have a thing like the current calendar that has been in place since before the birth of Jesus Christ, the inertia one must overcome is gargantuan. Besides, unless you are bothered by the irregularity in days of each month (special considerations for my obsessive-compulsive disorder friends out there), the current calendar is benign at worst. I'm not saying you can't tinker with it, but I don't necessarily think one would need to renovate it severely. I don't even think you have to do anything to the calendar itself; rather, I would love to see habits change with how to deal with said calendar.

I think the concept of the static week/weekend is probably outmoded. Sure, it is convenient to have a large percentage of the workforce off on two designated days. However, with how society has evolved even in the last couple of decades, the demand for labor has outgrown the idea that there is a standard for days off. Staggering the workforce's "weekend" would not only lubricate the wheels of production, but it might boost morale among the labor that already has to work on weekends, from clerks and cooks all the way up to doctors and firefighters. Of course, the idea that society is NEVER off isn't a left wing one. It in and of itself is a concession to capital, and I would never submit anything to the captains of industry without demanding something in return. The idea of a 40-hour workweek is also outmoded with how the population has exploded with the greatest infusion of wealth this planet has ever seen. You can have an expanded workforce with no decrease in wage working four six-hour workdays with their three days off consecutively staggered so that you have maximum productivity while also keeping worker happiness and compensation at high levels. But that's just my little old idea...

I did not, and it's for the same reason I didn't watch Mike Quackenbush's 13-minute magnum opus of answering grave allegations with performance art. I am not entirely interested in hearing what those accused of offenses that rarely if ever receive justice have to say when the victims rarely if ever get the same platforms available to them. Now, Riddle's public accusers are both wrestlers and vocal ones at that. Still, the avalanche of goodwill that Riddle has received from a certain quadrant of Twitter shows that none of that matters. As Ariela Nyx pointed out yesterday, none of his peers have spoken out in his defense. It's all fans who are predisposed to obsequious and slavish devotion to someone they like from television. Even if Riddle wasn't signed to WWE, promoters have always taken the side of a "draw" over concerns of peers, and it remains to be seen if the swath of people who have spoken out in the few weeks will change that idea. Riddle will face no consequences from these allegations, and he and his wife will continue to block social media users at the least abrasive criticisms, and the world will keep turning. That's why I'm not interested in anything that fucker has to say at this point.

1. Super Smash Bros. video game series - My son's not really that athletic. I wasn't either, but by his age, I had taken a cursory interest in sports. We don't have catches or shoot hoops. Maybe we will one day, I hope. But what we do share is the cartoon fighting game with outsized characters and uncomplicated special move prompts. We have fun with it, and it's good bonding time.

2. Monopoly - I have never played this with my wife and children, and honestly, as a leftist, the game now offends my senses on a certain level. THAT BEING SAID, playing capitalism on a board game is a lot more fun than doing it in real life. The blood feuds that arise out of it are only temporary anyway. At least I hope they are.

3. Scattergories - Again, it's not a game you play with young children, but when they get older, I'd love to get them into this game because it fosters creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. Plus, as proven with the popularity of David J. Roth's "Let's Name Some Guys" series, few things are as fun as just naming random shit.

4. Mario Kart series - My son has more fun with this than I do, but I still enjoy the cartoon racing game.

5. The Lost Kitties board game - My kids are obsessed with this thing called Lost Kitties right now, and the board game that came from it is actually quite fun and cute. I don't know how much of the zeitgeist it actually captures, but again, kids don't care about that shit.