Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bill Simmons' WrestleMania XXVI Running Diary

Courtesy of ESPN.com

The Boston Sports GuyFor those who don't know Bill Simmons, he's an "every-fan" sports columnist from the Boston area who entrepreneured his way from humble sports blog to national prominence and a gig with ESPN.com. I've been a fan of his for over five years now, although recently, he's started to grate on me a bit. His analyses on baseball or football or when he makes a stupid comparison that really is dumber than all hell can be hit or miss. Hell, I disagreed with him enough after the NFC Championship game to write a response to him that the folks at The 700 Level were gracious enough to publish. However, there are three subjects where I infallibly enjoy whatever he has to write: basketball, his mailbags and pro wrestling.

Simmons isn't a smark like me or the majority of you guys reading this by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, reading this running diary is a refreshing look at the event through the eyes of a casual fan or a "regular" fan so to speak (since I don't doubt Simmons' credentials as a long-time fan and wouldn't put him in the same category as the fugazi trendsters who hopped on in 1998 because the top guy in the company said "ass" a lot). I enjoyed it a lot, even if he got some of his facts wrong. Hopefully you will too.