Friday, April 23, 2010

Chikara King of Trios PREDICTIONS~!

Rivals old as time


Well, this year's King of Trios is nigh, belltime being 7:30 PM this evening for the first round, and I'm pumped. Absolutely excited, even with the announcement that Team Mexico will not be competing. With the excitement, there needs to be something to preview the event. Yes, I did do an in-depth preview of all the trios, but how about some in-depth predictions? Yeah? Yeah! Now that we're fewer than 12 hours away from the start, here's what I think will go down:

The Colony vs. the Jacks of All-Trios

I expect fireworks in this match, but in the end, the Colony is too over and too logical a choice to face off against BDK Team 1 to lose here. The Ants advance and Flip Kendrick, Louis Lyndon or both end up in Rey de Voladores.

The UnStable vs. Team Osaka Pro

Blog-fan Sean McLaughlin seems to like the UnStable to take it all. While I don't agree with that, I think they'll beat the Japanese in this round.

Team Perros del Mal vs. Team Delicioso~!

I'd go all in for CURRY MAN~!~!~! and the Ice Creams here if Christopher Daniels wasn't appearing on ROH this weekend. Why is it that Daniels and CURRY MAN~!~!~! are always joined at the hip like that? Perros del Mal with the win here.

BDK Team #1 vs. Team Mexico ???

The cop-out would be to have Dieter von Stiegerwalt come out and declare that the BDK gets a bye due to their opponents' inability to show up, but I have more faith in Chikara than for that to happen. My bold prediction of the night is that the ORDER OF THE NEO-SOLAR TEMPLE (???), with Delirious in tow, will come out and challenge the BDK, but Claudio, Ares and Tursas will prevail, either via Delirious' misstepping or by him outright turning on the Order.

Team Big Japan vs. Team Frightning

While I think the Big Japan guys will be sticking around for all three nights, it won't be advancing in the tournament, as I think Team Frightning pulls out the win here.

The Future Is Now vs. The Jackson Three

If you hate FLIPZ, you'll hate this match. I personally like FLIPZ in moderation or when they're done well, and I think the Jacksons at least know how to do them well. This will be an insanely exciting match, and I'm going to flip a coin and say TFIN wins to set up a matchup with their mentor and his new team for this year.

F1rst Family vs. BDK Team #2

Even if they're booking one of the BDK teams to win, the stable on the whole needs to have chinks shown in the armor sooner rather than later. I think the spot is now, and Arik Cannon and the NSE will be the ones to expose it by getting a pinfall victory here.

Team FIST vs. the Throwbacks

Give me FIST here. The Throwbacks are a team I'd love to see go all the way, but Matt Classic's travel buddy is Colt Cabana, and Colt's got shows in Dayton and Chicago on Saturday and Sunday.

The Colony vs. The UnStable

This should be an entertaining and hot match, but I think The Colony pulls it out.

Team Perros del Mal vs. BDK Team #1

YES! The lulz-inducing contrast of Cuije and Tursas will come to fruition in this match, and because of that, BDK advances here.

Team Frightning vs. The Future Is Now

Mentor vs. Students here, and I'm giving the nod to the mentor and his frightening partners.

F1rst Family vs. Team FIST

Ooh, a rematch from last year. This pairing makes so much sense from a heat standpoint, but while the F1rst Family should go over, I think FIST will go over.

The Colony vs. BDK Team #1

Another really hot match and a reprisal from the controversial Campeonatos de Parejas match which saw Bryce Remsburg miss a call, publicly apologize for it and promise it won't happen again. This could go one of two ways. Bryce blows a call again and turns to join the BDK, or he makes good on his promise and eliminates the BDK team via DQ. Tell you the truth, I have no idea what direction they're going to go, but given that I don't think they'd ever turn Bryce heel, I'm going against the narrative I've put out since the beginning and calling a Colony win here, be it clean pinfall or by DQ.

Team Frightning vs. Team FIST

Now that I'm calling a Colony win in the other semi, FIST winning this match becomes academic.

The Colony vs. Team FIST

The BDK vs. Chikara storyline has dominated the fed for the last five months it seems, and while it would seem logical that there'd be some kind of showdown between a tecnico team and the BDK Ace team, I think this is the better story. The Colony, a team fraught with doubt coming into the tourney, advances to the finals despite having a "weak link" in Green Ant and losing their CdP. Team FIST, last year's winners, looks to repeat and re-establish themselves as the top dogs in the fed again. I think for the biggest event on the Chikara calendar, they're going to send the crowds home happy this year unlike last year. The Colony wins, and for a brief moment, the BDK's advancement towards Chikara hegemony, as well as the repeat bid for dominance by Team FIST, is halted.

Of course, I expect to be totally wrong about all of this, but I think this is a good, logical way for everything to shake out.

Photo Credit: Scott Finkelstein - Please visit his site to view the plentiful amounts of pictures he's taken for DGUSA, ROH and other indie feds: Get Lost Photography

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!