Monday, April 26, 2010

TWB Draft Spectacular Analysis: Through My Eyes

My top two picks


This is the first in what I hope will be a series of content coming from our Draft Spectacular on Wednesday. Naturally, it's my thoughts on the whole proceedings and some insight into what I did with my picks as well as some thoughts on other picks. Let's get started with Round 1:

Round 1
1. KoppoKick - John Cena

Not surprising, although I thought he'd go for either Punk or Jericho here. Cena's the closest thing to a guaranteed bank today. Plus, he's a great wrestler and would fit in with "smark workrate" feds as well.

After the jump...2. PizzaBodySlam - Chris Jericho

THE BASTARD! That was my thought. Well, it wasn't, but it was. I wanted to get my favorite wrestler, naturally. However, it didn't end my world.

3. Me - CM Punk

Punk was in my top 3 of guys I wanted to take. The other two were Cena and Jericho, so Koppo and Pizza made my first pick easy for me. I wanted Punk because he's perhaps the best heat-generating heel in the game right now, and he'll continue on that path for the next 10 years at the very least. With Punk, my search for a top babyface won't be so hard because Punk can help make babyfaces just by opposing him.

4 and 5. Dylan (for Brandon) - Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton

They were two prospects for my next pick. The ReyRey pick got raked over the coals a bit, but I like it because he already draws in the kiddie crowd. I think with proper booking, even with injury concerns, he can draw in a wider audience. Orton is a no-brainer.

6. Me - BIG DAVE BATISTA~!

First two picks for me were heels, but they're two of the best heels in the business. I know this could be a risky pick in that he's been vocal about the time he has left in the business. However, the chance at having two furnace-hot heels to help churn out face draws, as well as the fact that Batista has made bank as a face before, was too much for me to pass up.

7. PizzaBodySlam - Bryan Danielson

The first real shocking pick of the draft comes in the next-to-last selection. I have to admit, I was looking at taking Danielson fairly early, but not this early. This is clearly a match quality pick, as that's where AmDrag shines brightest. He drew for ROH, but indie crowds and national crowds are very different. Very intriguing pick that would have gotten the Mel Kiper's of the wrestling draft world up in arms. However, with Jericho as the first pick, I think Danielson would ease into a top face role and shine brightly with Jericho to play off of.

8. KoppoKick - A.J. Styles

Very good value pick for workrate and heel charisma. A great foil for John Cena, because he'll bump for him and he has the antithetical rich jetsetting playboy character to foil Cena's blue-collar, never-say-die character.

Round 2

1. KoppoKick - Rob Van Dam

A very surprising pick to me with guys such as Undertaker, Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle on the board, but with RVD's recent title win, it does make sense. RVD has a certain freshness about him being out of the picture for so long, and that break seems to have recharged his batteries. Koppo's got himself a really strong top-end roster to start.

2. PizzaBodySlam - (His UncleTaker) The Undertaker

The Dead Man goes off the board with the 10th pick overall, and given his career resume, he deserves such praise. He's a guaranteed bank and even broken down, he can put on some really good matches. That broken down-ness might hamper his ability to go longterm, but in the short term, his drawing power is going to help PBS' fed.

3. Me - Jeff Hardy

Koppo rightly asked me whether I was still feeling Jeff Hardy Fatigue or not given this pick, and honestly, yes, I do feel it even now that he's in TNA. Still, you can't deny that he was the best babyface the WWE had from SummerSlam '08 to SummerSlam '09 and that he's still super over with the juvenile market. Of course, I'd pee test him every single day and make him ditch the whole facepaint look under threat of shoot donkey punching from Batista, but you could do worse with Hardy as a top face. That's my thinking.

4 and 5. Dylan (for Brandon) - ShoMiz

Very solid pickup and two great heel foils for Orton and Mysterio (or Orton and Van Dam as a trade later on would send Mysterio to Koppo for RVD). Miz is going to be the next big star, and now Brandon, thanks to Dylan, is going to be able to ride that wave. Show is underrated thanks to horrible booking for the last decade-plus, but he can be rebuilt. They have the technology.

6. Me - Samoa Joe

D'oh! I made this pick forgetting that Kurt Angle was still on the board, but after looking at the draft on the whole, I have no regrets, seeing as this sets up any number of money smark matches, INCLUDING Punk vs. Joe 2K10. Joe vs. Batista is also a money match waiting to happen. My plan would be to return Joe to his former indie asskicker glory, and thusly he'll be a Stone Cold for a different audience.

7. PizzaBodySlam - Kurt Angle

It's true, it's damn true, Angle is the best guy left on my board and a solid pickup for PBS. He can play both sides of the alignment coin, plus there's a dream match with Danielson waiting to happen.

8. KoppoKick - Christian

Christian is a favorite pick of mine here in that I wish I could have nabbed him, but it's also surprising given that Edge is still on the board. Maybe Koppo sees something that Vince and Co. don't? I know I do. I thought Christian was the eminently more talented member of that duo and he'll get a chance to prove his worth here.

Round 3

1. KoppoKick - Evan Bourne

Whoa! Here's another pick people might call a reach. I won't because I like Bourne a lot and think he's got a lot of potential as a top guy. However, I can see the arguments against drafting someone who's never won more than a developmental territory World Championship or a high-indie Tag Championship over, say, Triple H. Me though? I love the pick and if I were Koppo, I'd be pushing this kid to the moon and beyond.

2. PizzaBodySlam - Chris Hero

It's a run on future stars! Hero's a bona fide future main eventer to me, and he's a solid pick. Again, some might question him going this early, but hey, that's what makes a draft so intriguing.

3. Me - Mike Quackenbush

I fully admit that this pick was a reach, but I don't care. Quack is one of my favorite indie wrestlers who books and trains guys for my favorite fed in the world right now, so you're damn right I want him on my roster and I want to make sure he's locked up. He'll come aboard as sort of a "player-manager" type, a guy who'll act as an agent when he's not on the screen, a booking aide behind the scenes and a go-to guy in the ring.

4 and 5. Brandon - Goldberg and Edge

Here's where Brandon took over drafting for himself and began to irritate Dylan (whom Brandon said would be his consultant, lol) and provide lulz for the rest of the draft. Edge isn't a bad pick at all, but Goldberg, who's right now just negotiating with the WWE, is a stretch. Still, if he can get Goldberg to sign and perform and behave backstage, it's a coup.

6. Me - Jack SWAGGAH~!

I figured I'd have to get on the WWE futures train soon before I lost out. Batista, Quack and Hardy are all risks to lose time for whatever reason, so why not go with the WWE World Champion? Of course, I'd book him a lot better than they are now.

7. PizzaBodySlam - Triple H

It's not surprising that Triple H went this late seeing that all five guys who made picks here have no great love for the great constructor of the WWE's glass ceiling. There's objective reason for him to drop as well, given that he has two bad quads and is nearing the wrong side of 40. However, getting him with the 23rd pick of the draft is great value for a guy who's maybe the most recognizeable active wrestler in the world.

8. KoppoKick - Sheamus

I was looking at grabbing Sheamus as well, and looking back, I probably should have nabbed him where I got Quack, but hey, that's life. Great pick for Koppo, who had a hell of a draft up to this point and beyond.

Rather than write a huge tl;dr post profiling every draft pick, I'm just going to give you the reasoning behind my picks and let you know why I put together the roster that I put together.

Round 4, Pick 3 - Austin Aries

I couldn't get my favorite wrestler (Jericho), so I had to snap up my second favorite wrestler here. Aries has WrestleMania main event-level heat drawing abilities in addition to being one of the finest wrestlers on the indie circuit. No doubt he's my ace in the hole as a secondary top heel should Batista decide to retire on me.

Round 4, Pick 6 - MVP

I don't care what the haters say, I think MVP has at least one good main event run in him before it's all said and done. He's more effective as a heel, but he can get cheers as a face. Either way, I love his charisma and his swagger.

Round 5, Pick 3 - Beth Phoenix and Awesome Kong

This was my tag team pick. This is a geek wrestling fantasy of mine that has been welling in my head for a few months now, ever since Kong got released from TNA. I'd be willing to let the two run wild in my tag team division, wrestle against the men and try to tap into the female demographic without going all Grey's Anatomy, which would be dreadful, btw.

Round 5 Pick 6 - Kofi Kingston

Kofi showed me a lot during his feud with Randy Orton. Admittedly, I think he's still too raw for the exposure he's getting, but I think the talent is there and that he can grow into a great main event face for me. I also figure that with Quack on the roster as that "player-manager" type, Kofi's one of the guys who'll most benefit from that arrangement.

Round 6, Pick 3 - Mark Henry

I love the theme song.

All joking aside, Henry is a steady hand when he's motivated and I plan on pushing him pretty hard when he signs. Great big man wrestler who can go as a face or a heel and who has really carved his niche out among wrestling fans who don't discriminate on big men just because they're big.

Round 6, Pick 6 - Necro Butcher

I think this is the steal of the draft right here. I couldn't believe he fell this far, but then again, he's just known for death matches and ultraviolence. Yet, when I saw him at King of Trios last year and at various ROH bookings throughout the past year, I saw a guy who could command a crowd like no one else and who brawled with the best of them. No way I'm passing up a chance to have Necro come in, compete for the affections of the fans as a possible top face and have knockout programs with CM Punk and Batista.

Round 7, Pick 3 - Zack Ryder

WWWYKI. At the very worst, Ryder will be a solid midcard act a la Curt Hennig for me for the next decade. If you don't think you need midcard acts? Well, look at how instrumental guys like Arn Anderson, Hennig, Rick Rude and the the Big Boss Man were at feuding with guys who would go onto the main event.

Round 7, Pick 6 - Goldust

Goldie's veteran presence fits one of the common themes of my draft, and that is getting a cadre of ring-savvy veterans who can not only have great matches with anyone they're working with, but who can help teach the greener rooks and make them into the well-rounded stars they can be. When Dustin is in shape, there are a scant few who are better than him in the ring, and the Goldust character is one of my all-time favorites.

Round 8, Pick 3 - Wade Barrett

Barrett fits the other common theme, picking up the young, fresh stars of tomorrow and building them strongly for the long haul. Outside of Danielson, there's no one on NXT that has the tools that Barrett has to succeed at the next level, and to be honest, I think Barrett's a better long-term pro prospect than Danielson is. I know, I have to turn in my indie-cred card, but still, the truth's the truth.

Round 8, Pick 6 - El Generico

Generico's another personal favorite of mine, and a guy I think can carry both young and old audiences with his raucous, high-energy style and expressive demeanor. Even if he doesn't speak a lick of English in character, he has magnetism, something that's very important for any wrestler.

Round 9, Pick 3 - Finlay

Another savvy veteran pick, Finlay is maybe the best brawler in the world and he's 53. Imagine the slugfests with Necro Butcher. The thing is, I'm not sure if Finlay's even slowing down, as he's one of those old codgers who probably won't show signs of creaking out until the moment he dies.

Round 9, Pick 6 - Delirious

He's another guy who doesn't speak English in character but has so much animal magnetism that he can get crowds behind him just by shouting and frenetically pacing about the ring.

Round 10, Pick 3 - Skip Sheffield

YYYWID. Sheffield is another one of the NXT rooks I really like, and shoot, I think I'd like having him around to develop into a dopey face brawler.

Round 10, Pick 6 - Christopher Daniels

I wondered when I picked him how the hell he lasted this long. Great value pick.

Round 11, Pick 3 - Kevin Steen and Steve Corino

My second tag team pick, this one was sort of a no-brainer already having Generico on the roster. It fits into both my themes, Steen as the future star, Corino as the ring-savvy vet. Plus, Corino/Necro... would that set the record for most blood lost in a wrestling match or what?

Round 11, Pick 6 - UltraMantis Black

I almost picked Colt Cabana here, but I let my Chikara mark-dom get the better of me and picked Mantis, who's a great talker, a decent worker and if all else fails, a color commentator who can get my product over in the future.


Just to recap:
Bryce Remsburg Wrestling

CM Punk
Batista
Jeff Hardy
Samoa Joe
Mike Quackenbush
Jack SWAGGAH~!
Austin Aries
MVP
Beth Phoenix
Awesome Kong
Kofi Kingston
Mark Henry
Necro Butcher
Zack Ryder
Goldust
Wade Barrett
El Generico
Finlay
Delirious
Skip Sheffield
Christopher Daniels
Kevin Steen
Steve Corino
UltraMantis Black

I think that's a good haul, don't you?

Photo Credit: WWE.com

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!