Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I Told You So: The Miz Is Awesome

He came to play


I'd say that I don't like to tell people "I told you so", but that would make me a filthy liar. I love proving people wrong. Of course, it's better when I'm involved in the actual proving-wrong, but hey, if I can't silence those who are haters of me, then I'll take being right.

Like in the case of The Miz. I have been pimping the hell out of Michael Mizanin's merits as a main event player and future franchise WWE wrestler, a guy who could draw some serious coin and headline multiple WrestleManias, for the last year. Well, if you watched last night on RAW, Miz came out during a Randy Orton promo and told the world that his ambitions were to become the first guy to hold both the US and WWE Championships at the same time. This development is just in time for the new PPV concept addition to the PPV calendar, Money in the Bank. Coincidence? If you think so, get a CAT scan because you're probably brain damaged.

Anyway, while the glut of title contenders in the WWE right now might make the titular match on the RAW side seem very star heavy, there's always the chance that it will be, like the WrestleMania staple from which this PPV is being watered-down inspired, a mid-card festival of also-rans and up-and-comers. Either way, wouldn't the Miz, who is, as KoppoKick flat out wondered last night in our LiveBlog (again, thanks to all who came out!), in danger of being overexposed by the WWE, a prohibitive favorite to win? I mean, the guy has been plastered all over NXT. He's been a Tag Team Championship contender with Big Show and Chris Jericho, not exactly WWE little-leaguers. When the WWE wanted the Hart Dynasty to get some much-needed heat, against whom did they program them? ShoMiz. The WWE milks Miz as much as they would anyone who hasn't hit World Title level yet.

But that has to be coming. I mean, they're telegraphing it. Sure, there were the cases of Mr. Cockfag Kennedy and MVP making overtures at Randy Orton when he was Champion last year, but in both cases, their pushes were submarined, the former through his own sloppiness and the latter through a combination of Shane McMuffintop's heat glomming and his own lack of restraint when it came to the kind bud. Aside from his chicken-crumb indiscretions, which by the way, was the inspiration for the the best, most balls-out inspired promo in any fed all year so far and maybe even in the last two years, Miz keeps his nose clean. He doesn't get in trouble, he does what the WWE asks him and promotes what they want him to promote.

Add that in to the fact that he's ready to work a WrestleMania main event match from an in-ring standpoint, and it's clear that the WWE sees in him what I've been telling everyone all along. The guy is an all-rounder. He's not the next Rock, because there will never be another Rock, but he's the first ever Miz, and that means he's a great promo, a great wrestler and a future star. And it's all going to come together for him when he gets to lift the MitB briefcase off the ring at the duly named PPV and cash in for his first ever WWE or World Championship.

This is all no accident. No, the Miz is on his way to being a megastar, way more than the sloppy, mic skill-deprived and injury-prone John Morrison, whom everyone else thought was the breakout star from that team. I mean, I still like Morrison, but with every Starship Pain that ends with him dropping an elbow meekly across a guy's wrist and with every promo that has me thinking "What?" (and not in a good way), it's clear he still has a long way to go.

Miz though? He certainly doesn't. The WWE realizes this too, and that gives me the right to say "I told you so". Don't take it personal though, because there's a whole crapload of things that you can hold over my head, but I think I deserve to savor this one for now.

Photo Credit: WWE.com

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!