Wednesday, February 9, 2011

No Matter How Negative I May Seem, I Still Love Wrestling

Yay wrestling!

If you've been reading this blog lately, then you'd have noticed that I've been critical of a lot lately. WWE's handling of booking programs, everything TNA does, hell, even ROH hasn't escaped my critical eye. It's easy to be critical of today's wrestling product, because there are a lot of things worth criticizing. For some, that may be frustrating to read all the time. Despite all the problems I've raised, I'm still a wrestling fan. I still love wrestling, and I still think that there's a lot of really, really good wrestling out there.

Yes, no matter where you look, whether it's in the present or the past, domestic or abroad, mainstream or indie. Yes, there are even things of merit in what I've lovingly come to know as that fecal vortex in Orlando. It's just a matter of looking for it. That's why even with my criticisms of the product, I still get frustrated when I see supposed fans say there's nothing good around or long for the glory days.

Granted, while I can find positives everywhere (I mean, even CZW has Adam Cole and some good junior heavyweight action), I can understand why people may not like a certain promotion or promotions. Still, I see a lot of criticism come off as "rubber-stamped" just because it's WWE or TNA. I just want people to look and give things a chance that they may not have given a chance before.

Wrestling is as rich an artform as you can find. It's so varied, and for the most part, there is good in every niche. X-Division spotfests may not have the psychology, but those acrobatics are damn exciting to watch. Chikara doesn't have the core realism that even the WWE has, but it keeps me at the edge of my seat with excellent execution of its own unique style. The WWE may not have the flash and panache of the indies or the best booking, but where else are you going to find guys who can tell a story in the ring or whip crowds of tens of thousands into a frenzy with their words? I really think there's something for everyone here.

And that's why I love wrestling, why I will always want wrestling. That's why I criticize when people aren't presenting wrestling to me at a level that I find acceptable. It's not because I'm a hater. It's because I want them to succeed and I want the medium to succeed as a whole.

I know this seems like an unnecessary post, but it's worth saying. Pro wrestling is awesome. It just is.

Photo Credit: Scott Finkelstein - Please visit his site to view the plentiful amounts of pictures he's taken for DGUSA, ROH and other indie feds: Get Lost Photography

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!