Tuesday, April 26, 2011

This Week in DVR: Better Late than Never, Yeah, I Know

Cody Rhodes is a mad genius
Photo Credit: WWE.com

I watched what I couldn't watch live on my DVR or the Internet (and it took me more than one weekend to do it!). Here's what stood out:

Matches

JTG vs. Tyler Reks from Superstars - Usually, JTG isn't this good, but I think his bumping for Reks made this one stand out. They gave it a lot of time too. Nice opener for Superstars, but please, REKS' FINISHER IS NOT A FUCKING BURNING HAMMER GAWD.

Ted DiBiase vs. Mark Henry from Superstars - Not the best match these two could have had, but it was a nice little thing and worthy of main eventing the D-show. I really hope that the lack of faith in DiBiase is that they have nothing for him and not a reaction of his desire to stay in wrestling, because when they decide to get behind him, he'll have great matches that everyone will see. I loved his leg work, and Henry did a great job selling throughout the match. I thought they could have teased the bum knee in the finish a bit more, but I thought it was acceptable. Good stuff.

Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio on Smackdown - Very intense opener after Rhodes' blistering hot promo to start. These guys played up their hatred for each other well, and Rhodes really looked as good in the ring as he ever has. I liked the finish with the roll up out of the power bomb.

Chris Masters vs. Drew McIntyre on Smackdown - Strange match because of how the crowd reacted. I don't want to dock it too much for the mistake that the agents made, but I can't help but thinking that maybe Masters and McIntyre should have switched roles for that match. McIntyre was over as a face here because of where they were. So yeah, it had a strange atmosphere, but it was as good a match as you could imagine it was between Masters and McIntyre getting a good chunk of time on the main show.

Ray Rosas vs. Aaron Bolo from NWA Hollywood - Nice if simplistic match that featured a lot of leg work and a bit of heat from the prior week's show. Bolo sold his leg well throughout the match, and while I thought Rosas was a bit too simplistic for my liking, he did his job well. Great counter out of la casadora for the pin by Bolo.

Buggy and Davina Rose vs. Allison Danger and Candice LaRae on NWA Hollywood - Really good, if short, tag match. I thought Danger's antics here were great, and it led into the meat of the match with her refusing to get her hands dirty wrestling Buggy. I thought Rose played the face in peril great, and the inside cradle roll to segue into the hot tag was really well-done. Danger played the dominant heel psych well too, especially in dragging Rose to the corner on a pin attempt. The finish was a bit clunky. Buggy looks pretty raw and green to me, which is probably why Rose worked most of the match. However, it was good for what it was, and three of the four Lethal Ladies here held up their ends of the bargain.

Austin Aries vs. Willie Mack on NWA Hollywood - I had my doubts about this early on, as Mack kinda looked shaky on his strikes, but I thought he acquitted himself well overall. Really good match, featuring Aries' excellent showmanship, some hot moves, excellent pacing and Mack playing up the size advantage really, really well. I just love watching Aries work. Building around the brainbuster was a genius bit of storytelling, and I loved the bit where Aries locked in that standing figure four into the pin. The finish was well-done, and I was left with generally a positive first impression with Mack.

Shows

WWE NXT - Mostly pointless episode. Yeah, I didn't miss seeing the stupid challenges, and the tug of war thing was really fuckin' stupid. About the only thing good about it was Lucky Cannon's histrionics. I also can't believe they're rehashing the Hornswoggle/Chavo Guerrero feud with Darren Young in the same spot. It was old when it happened the first time. Ugh. The main event tag match was okay, and I kinda dig this whole Maryse/love triangle thing going on if only out of a morbid sense of curiosity over how awkward this'll play out. Still, it was running in place for the most part.

Superstars - Three decent matches. This is what Superstars should be every week.

Impact - While the opening-segment-promo formula was used again, it was a refreshing change from the last 16 months when it was some iteration on Hogan, Bischoff and whomever talk about boring shit. Opening with Styles and Bully felt hot, and with no interruptions from pointless NPCs or any of the stupid, sloppy or geriatric main eventers, it was a different feel. Oh yeah, we got our obligatory Hogan segment, and boy, was it terrible with its forced edginess and what not, but at least they waited until after the cold open and the first match. Anyway, this was better than normal, but still, they've got a long way to go.

Smackdown - Holy shit, so who knew Cody Rhodes was a franchise player? Man, talk about a cold open that was anything but cold, Rhodes KILLED it on the mic. Holy crap, man, holy crap. And the paper bags? Jesus. If he's not main eventing WrestleMania in two years at least, this company is fucked. After the first segment, the quality tailed off though. I thought the wrestling was good, really good, and I'm really digging the LayCool break up angle. Both women are playing this off really well. The break up tease I don't like is The Corre, because it's too soon, and because it's being overshadowed by the ladies. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the end segment. del Rio was almost perfect in his delivery of it, but I think it went on too long, and the material he had to work with was pretty weak. All in all though, I think this was a solid effort if just for the matches and for Cody Rhodes absolutely killing it. KILLING IT, JERRY.

NWA Hollywood - Y'know, last week, I got a good flavor for what NWA Hollywood could show. This week, they were just showing off. They got four or five angles advanced, running the gamut from opening match-level to main event, and it didn't feel like they crammed it all in just to cram it in. Seriously, WWE Creative, it can be done. Very solid show, good promos, good angle advancement, and just this nexus of awesome indie talent like Danger, Aries, Colt Cabana, Johnny Goodtime, Scorpio Sky, all supplemented by the younger, up and comers like Mack, Bolo and Rosas. This is really a clutch find.

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!