Friday, July 27, 2012

I'm With Brock Lesnar

So much douche...
Photo Credit: WWE.com
It's funny the way logic works in Triple H's head. If you say possibly true things about a guy's family, you're a bully. If you hit an attorney in the face because he's threatening to sue you, you're standing up for yourself. I guess years of getting hit on the head by a future murderer and other assorted muscled goons warp reality, doesn't it? The fundamental problem with Trips' character (and to be fair, the writing/direction of it, although I doubt he's blameless in his creative control) is that the people who identify with him are people who are predisposed to be heels in the first place. Assault laws favor those who don't make physical contact for a reason.

Still, it was even funny the way the segment was set up on Monday, when Brock Lesnar came out essentially to make a babyface save of his lawyer Paul Heyman. Yeah, that's how the segment was laid out. Trips and Stephanie McMahon (who remember is a former Women's Champion... hey, stop laughing, it was during a time when it meant... I SAID STOP LAUGHING) cornered Heyman, who was about to get his ponytail forcibly removed when all of the sudden, his protector comes to save him. I know they were experimenting with different roles for the bad guy earlier with Damien Sandow (again, crashing a Triple H party... interesting), but in what universe does this make Lesnar a villain again? That's right, the WWE Universe.

Still, while I side with Brandon Stroud and wish that calling cards like "THE TROOPS" and especially "FAMILY" didn't automatically act as signposts for who the good guys were, I also think that it can be pretty shitty to involve someone's family in a dispute between two grown men. I can see where Trips might be wounded. I also see where Lesnar would come from with his original beef with Trips, even if he went about redressing it the wrong way (objectively that is... I think everyone should be allowed to break Trips' arm if they feel wronged by him, but that's just me).

So basically, it boils down to SummerSlam's main event being between two utterly unlikable characters. One guy represents THIS BUSINESS, but is a total meathead bully who needs to have the situation be all about him. The other guy is the dude who'd rather be punching guys in the dick in an eight-sided polygon and doesn't show up for weeks at a time. I can see where most sensible people wouldn't be able to choose.

That being said, I'm not sensible. Much like the people who will be cheering for Triple H, there's something wrong with me in the head that makes me identify with Lesnar. I at least feel like he's genuine. Sure, he's a genuine selfish douchebag, but at least he's not pretending to be some white knight who is a vanguard for THIS BUSINESS when he's really just worried about his Q score or his Klout rating or whatever. That's how Trips comes off to me. He's too worried about everyone liking him that I really don't care if he does have a legit gripe with Mr. Jimmy John's. He's transparently fake.

So yeah, even if he's all about MMA, shows up when he feels like it and has the most God-awfully ugly tattoo on his chest, he's still unabashed about that. He's secure. That's more than I can say for the COO. Then again, maybe it's just my hate for Trips showing through. Who knows. Either way, I'm still on Team Lesnar for SummerSlam all the way.