Thursday, October 25, 2012

Instant Feedback: I Hear Voices in Jeff's Head

Did Impact try to give us Jeff Hardy's inner monologue tonight? I applaud the company for thinking outside the box at times, but the example set in the surreal opening segment on Impact tonight wasn't blurring the lines, it was going all Wonder Years all over everyone. I think there could be a place for that kind of trope to be used on a live wrestling show, but not in a serious manner like they did tonight. It fell flat, much like the rest of the show did for me.

It's not entirely the company's fault outside of the people they chose to be on their roster. If it were up to me, I'm not sure I'd have Kurt Angle, Robbie T, Ken Anderson or Rob van Dam on my televised wrestling show, but hey, with the exception of the second one, I guess people like them. When they get put in the prolonged matches of the night, then that's where you lose me as a viewer. There was one point in the opening match where Zema Ion had to stand on the apron and wait for van Dam to kick him in the face.

However, the main thing wrong with the show right now feels to me to be pacing of the Aces and Eights story. Let's put aside that it still feels like it's being done for the greater glory of Hulk Hogan, Sting and possibly Eric Bischoff (I feel like if I say his name a million times, he won't be attached to it). It's been three months and we're still waiting for a bunch of bit players to be unmasked like it's a big deal, and they're still just looking to beat up random Impact dudes. I guess the confrontation between Bully Ray and D-Von was well-done, not surprising given the pedigree of both guys on the stick, but I feel like the tenor of it really didn't match what I thought it should have been. Were my expectations out of whack? Maybe, but there didn't seem to be enough violence. I dunno.

Still though, at least we didn't hear Bully's innermost thoughts on the situation after it happened without him saying a word.