Friday, January 18, 2013

Instant Feedback: Thank God for the Mute Button

Maybe it's because I hated the segment so badly is why I took great offense to taking up prime Smackdown real estate for a replay of the Rock Concert. Then again, it drove some massive traffic to the site thanks to responses from myself and more importantly Danielle. But I lived through it already. I saw Rocky say Twinkle Tits once before. I don't need to see it again. So I did what any sane wrestling fan did. I muted my TV and watched a six man tag from Metro Pro Wrestling. So yeah, my Friday show was better than anyone else's who sat there and watched the replay of that bullshit.

Thankfully, the rest of the show wasn't as heavy-handed on the He-man Woman Hating past icon worship. JBL likes to say "We fight on Friday Night," and I'd be hard pressed to disagree with him here. Hell, we got a long-awaited rematch from 3/10/09 nearly four years later. I got a bit misty-eyed for ECW when The Miz, now a main event guy, wrestled Primo Colon once more after their match in the buildup to the Tag Team Title Unification. I may be the only person to remember that match, but from my recollection, these two did it again.

There was an even better main event as well that came forth from the opening segment. I get that most people wouldn't accept an apology as the only receipt for destroying their car. I know I wouldn't. But hey, at least we didn't get two guys who did heinous personal things to each other going "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" as the best explanation for teaming. Sheamus actually tried to make things right, which is better storytelling than we've gotten in some instances in the past.

The match was even better, especially the finish, with Alberto del Rio dumping water on Big Show and making him walk out out of disgust. I know people might see a countout and groan, but this was a well-done countout. It was a creative countout. It was one that called back to the confetti on Monday night.

If only they could be so creative and bold to fill out the time they used to recap Monday's misogyny...