Thursday, May 23, 2013

Fourteen Years

One of Owen's finest moments
Photo Credit: WWE.com
It's hard to believe, but 14 years ago today, Owen Hart lost his life in the most senseless wrestling-related stunt gone wrong that I can remember, falling from the roof of the Kemper Arena to the ring below. His death evoked one of the most gut-wrenching and heartbreaking episodes of Monday Night RAW, or of any wrestling show, in history, with the entire roster saying goodbye to the youngest Hart brother on the TitanTron. For whatever reason, Triple H's and Mark Henry's farewells stood out the most to me.

Hart's death was a point of contention for years between his surviving widow and the wrestling community at large. I was once against Martha Hart, but I've grown up a lot in the last few years. In some ways, it was hard for me to get over the passing of my dog back in 2003. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be in her shoes. She recently settled with WWE over the use of her late husband's image in their promotional materials. I truly hope that it wasn't a "leave me alone" gesture and more one of closure for her. I fully anticipate that now the legal troubles have ended that Hart will end up in DVD releases and get inducted into the Hall of Fame. But those are but pittances compared to the years we were robbed of his career, and more importantly, his life. Rest in peace, Owen.