Friday, June 7, 2013

Instant Feedback: Brogue Kicking Computers

Daniel Bryan as a super main event destroyer of limbs was the main thrust of the show, and granted, I am more excited for this than anything in my life in the last five years excepting my wedding and the birth of my son. He at one point in the main event against Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins took a hot tag from Randy Orton, leapt up to the top rope, hit both guys with a missile dropkick, and continued to buzzsaw around the ring like a house on fire. Hell, he countered a school boy roll up into the No Lock. That is genius-level if I ever saw it. Daniel Bryan, if the rumors are correct, will go into Money in the Bank like a Viking on methamphetamines and put on the match of the goddamn year with John Cena.

And the set up to that match actually saw the players and the storytellers dabble in nuance. I am really loving what they're doing with Kane right now. If he's not WWE's only babyface, he's their best. There's earnesty behind his voice, and it only adds to the Bryan mythos. My heart aches for the Big Red Monster, and that statement would have been incongruous to past incarnations of me so hard that I am in some kind of temporal vortex, one totally different than the one I expected to swirl in on Sunday.

But for me, the absolute highlight of the show came during the segment of the show dedicated to Sheamus going all might vs. right on Damien Sandow's ass. It was one of those segments where I totally went in looking to placate my own sense of confirmation bias. Sandow would shine, Sheamus would ruin it, and we'd all grumble about how alignment in WWE is more out of whack than an average PWG wrestler's spine before visiting the chiropractor.

And yeah, Sandow blew me away. He took a cheesy set up and owned it. Yelling at inanimate objects tickles me with the efficacy of a feather in an old-timey cartoon. But once the computer was revealed, I knew that Sheamus would Brogue Kick it. Then he came out, and he Brogue Kicked the goddamn computer. Y'know, I can get really annoyed at his dumb hooligan routine and lack of consequence, but if there's anything better than yelling at an inanimate object, it's beating one up. It's the Edge Corollary.

Smackdown was uneven tonight, but Bryan, Kane, Sheamus, Sandow, and Kaitlyn going full cat-mode on Natalya backstage made the show worth watching. What can I say? Let my favorite dude in the world run amok and have big dumb muscleheads destroy computers, and I'm satisfied.