Thursday, September 4, 2014

WWE Is in Chaos, but Is the Chaos Good?

Is this chaos good?
Photo Credit: WWE.com
The series of Growing Up Bella vignettes on this past week's RAW has left me a bit out of sorts. We’re supposed to believe Brie Bella is the bad twin but yet it was Nikki Bella that betrayed her sister, supposedly because of all her pent up frustration from years of alleged torment. I really do not like this angle, but I will be there every step of the way to point out what I like or in this case, do not like.

I knew the twins would be split up eventually but there are so many other paths that could have been taken to do so. The vignettes seemed repetitive and bored me to bouts of yawning each time Nikki Bella came on with her unbelievable web of lies, one that the WWE Universe has not been caught in by and large. I mean if you’re going to pull this storyline off, you have to make it believable to a certain degree. It just lacked luster. To top the segment off, Stephanie McMahon came to the ring and called out Nikki Bella. As they worked through this WWE Creative mess, the audience was heard stating the obvious, “BORING.” They were calling it as they saw it. It was pretty boring.

McMahon attempted to crown Nikki as the face of the Divas Division, replete with a title shot, but her coronation was cut short by a parade of interlopers - first Brie, then AJ Lee with her claim of contendership, and finally the Divas Champion herself, Paige. The ring seemed too crowded without any real action going on. Sure, Brie clobbered her sister after being yelled at with vehement pleas to quit. I would have had McMahon take a lump too; instead, Paige ended up eating it. I'm not sure if her fall was scripted or a blunder. Either way, the whole thing felt a bit too chaotic for my liking.

Is all of this too much too soon? Or does everyone like this chaotic direction WWE is taking? Truthfully, I have not seen the WWE in this much disarray in quite some time, and it's not just with the women either. Look at the opening segment of RAW with the men:

  • Triple H basically told John Cena being beaten again by Brock Lesnar wouldn't be good for business
  • John Cena responded that he's ready to take on Lesnar
  • Randy Orton claimed he should have a shot
  • Kane asserted his claim to one one
  • Roman Reigns threw himself into the mix
  • Seth Rollins put his two cents worth and the briefcase in
  • Chris Jericho was thrown in the mix for good measure

    My favorite of the bunch above is Roman Reigns. I think he deserves a chance to shine but with all those dropped in the hat, can he? For the women, my favorite isn’t even listed above, and that’s Natalya. I think out of all the women in the division, she’s the one who stands out to me the most. She can wrestle well and should be added in the mix. Both the women and men’s side of things is in turmoil. It’s worse than the soap operas my grandmother would watch on a daily basis. And yet I tune in weekly because I love professional wrestling. Even though this wasn't the best RAW, it still entertained and got me thinking what I would do better. It's chaotic and turmoil but like years past, it's cyclical. This too shall pass.