Monday, December 28, 2009

My Favorite Matches of 2009, 4/5-5/24

2009 is coming to a close, so in addition to looking forward, it's time to look at the year that was for the various wrestling federations in the US and Canada. TWB aims to look at some of the best matches from the year, looking back in chronological order.

Taker vs. HBKThe next wave of matches that I enjoyed this year takes us from the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania (which is wrong, actually, it's WM 25, but the 24th anniversary of the first event) through Memorial Day weekend and it's basically just WWE and Chikara.

Remember, these are the matches I have seen. If you think that something's missing, then I probably haven't watched it, or I really did think it didn't belong. But if you do think something's missing, then speak up, because I'm always game to watch wrestling. Enough intro, let's get to this batch:

4/5, Mr. 16-0 vs. Mr. WrestleMania at WrestleMania XXV
The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels

I have stated in the past that I feel like this match is overrated, that people were just overpraising it because it's ZOMG SHAWN MIKILZ @ WM!!!1 I felt like it dragged a little in the middle. That being said, where I think it's overrated is that I think it's more a top 25 match than a top 5 match. It's still the best match from a surprisingly and disappointingly lackluster top card of the year for the market leader. HBK and Taker really do show the rest of the locker room, especially the up-and-comers who are going to be attempting to take their places in a few years, how the fuck it's done.

4/20, from Monday Night RAW
John Cena vs. Chris Jericho

This was billed as Jericho's "farewell match" from RAW (how funny that is in retrospect when seeing how big a role Jericho has played on both shows all year), and they gave him a decent send-off. Cena and Jericho really do have such great chemistry in-ring, but that's to be expected when you put two great wrestlers who are both professionals in squared circle. I hated the finish, but truthfully, I didn't hate it enough to warrant not including the match on the list.

4/27, from Monday Night RAW
Randy Orton vs. MVP

In April, RAW was sizzling hot in terms of wrestling action, and it showed for a second straight week with a newly-drafted MVP challenging Randy Orton, one-on-one. The two tore the house down and dazzled the live and TV crowds, giving hope for an awesome, awesome title feud sometime down the road. I hated this finish too, even moreso than the previous week because it was Shane McGirlypuncher making the run-in instead of Edge, but again, the match was good enough that I could overlook the finish. Sadly, it looks like MVP really isn't destined for anything more than JttS since he likes-a the ganja. I'd feel bad for him or pissed off at the WWE, but really, it's his own fault. *sigh*

5/24, from Chikara's Aniversario Yang
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Eddie Kingston

As I said from my review of the event, this match was fantastic and the better match between the two that I had seen this year (makes me want to get my hands on Three-Fisted Tales to see the third match!), and that it's also a match that would make people change their minds about Eddie Kingston for the better. He's a great brawler, but the best part of the match is when he used a wrestling technique to beat the wrestler. I wonder how this match will be looked at in context of Claudio turning and becoming a BDK at TFT? I guess it all depends on where Kingston stands in the whole fray.

5/24, Lucha de Apuesta - Hair vs. Masks, from Chikara's Aniversario Yang
Team FIST (Chuck Taylor and Icarus) vs. The Colony (Fire and Soldier Ants)

Again, click the link from the Claudio/Kingston match to find a better review of this one. The Colony seem to be Chikara's go-to guys for huge matches, as they wrestle a very big-match-friendly style. FIST played perfect foils to them here, but they're the best rudos in the company, you expect that. The finish with Soldier Ant hobbling out from the back could have been the best one of the year.

Next entry, we're throwing up some DGUSA and ROH love, as well as some 'spect to the Innovator of Violence.