Thursday, May 5, 2011

There's Definitely More to Mason Ryan Than Muscles

He's a hoss, but he's got potential
Photo Credit: WWE.com
The meme is that Vince McMahon likes to hire and push big musclebound juiceheads at the expense of "good" wrestlers. But what happens when the juice freaks turn out to be good? It's a happy accident to some, but there've been more and more who have fit the musclehead mold who have entertained the hell out of me lately. Chris Masters is one, although it took him leaving the company and coming back motivated and improved to do so. Sheamus has been one of the best workers and characters in WWE since his debut. Wade Barrett, Skip Sheffield and even Ezekiel Jackson have shown talent to go along with their massive size.

I think the guy who has the most potential out of all of them is... Sheffield. Obviously, my manlove for the big hoss has been epic in his short time in the bigs, even hurt. But aside from him, I kinda like Mason Ryan. Mason Ryan? Really? You might ask. However, in his limited duty thus far, I've seen more than just a bunch of muscles and a more-than-striking resemblance to one Big Dave Batista.

Granted, he's been pretty streaky in the ring from what we've seen of him. Then again, he's been in what, two or three matches thus far? He doesn't have a large sample size. I mean yeah, he actually looked good against R-Truth, but in other appearances, he's been hit-or-miss. But it's not really the working ability that has me enamored with Ryan thus far. It's the way he handles himself, his presence, his body language, facial expressions and all the other stuff that suggests he knows he's a wrestler and not some bodybuilder that McMahon hired to look menacing. He looks the part.

I think the biggest example of this was three weeks ago when in the overrun, he looked like an animal unleashed when he was chomping at the bit to rip Randy Orton's head from his body. This week, it was more of the same when he came out and delivered a Welsh Side Effect to Kane. Again, the execution on the move seemed a bit awkward, but I loved his fire and his facial expressions. Here's a guy who really knows his role and knows how to conduct himself.

Granted, there's still a lot left for him to show me, but I like what I've seen so far. I'm intrigued to see what he can do, and hell, I'd love to see Big Dave come back just for the possibility of him teaming with Darren "Nega-Cena" Young against a team of John Cena and Ryan... okay, maybe that's a bit too far-fetched, but whether you agree with me or not, well, at least I see a lot of worth in the Big Welsh Galoot.

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!