Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sorry Chris, I Can't Co-sign on That Tweet

Jericho's not impressed with the outrage
Photo Credit: WWE.com

I had a life-changing experience today. I disagreed with Chris Jericho on something. Okay, okay, enough with the melodrama, I know, I know. Anyway, as it seems with most people, Jericho has an opinion on That Spoiler. However, it isn't the one that a lot of fans probably hoped he might have had.

Read more after the jump, as I don't wanna be spoilin' up in here for those who still wish to have tomorrow's Smackdown preserved for them (although I honestly doubt anyone who follows WWE isn't in on the news by now):

He posted this missive on Twitter:
Hey everyone bitching about @Christian4Peeps losing the title, have u ever thought that maybe it's just the beginning of a bigger storyline?
Actually, I have thought about it being the beginning of a bigger storyline, and quite frankly, all the different possibilities that played out in my head that didn't include Randy Orton turning heel (which at this point is a mathematical impossibility, I think) sucked a big one. Honestly, while I can see where Jericho is coming from here, I can't agree with it, even if there was a tantalizing option for the future that could come from this. Why not?

Because sometimes, I, as a fan, just want to live in the moment. (An aside, speaking of living in the moment, my CCB colleague Justin Henry wrote a column at Wrestling News Source that pretty much vindicated Matt Hardy vis a vis the WWE and connected to the title switch. As unappealing as that may sound, it makes sense.)

Honestly, thinking about the future is a pitfall of most wrestling fans, and while a lot of us self-professed or self-hating "smarks" do nothing but fantasy book or judge decisions based on the impact they have on the future, many times, we just want to bask in the glow of a great thing. To me at least, and probably to many other people jilted, jaded and (unlike me) pissed about the title switch, Christian's moment hadn't ended yet when he lost the belt in front of the live crowd, and I know that I was ready to watch Smackdown tomorrow in the warm afterglow of a moment well-deserved for one of my absolute favorite wrestlers on the scene right now and of all-time. That celebration was cut short, and it's left a bad taste in our mouths.

So, the WWE could very well follow this up with the most amazing storyline ever. They really could, and as a fan of the company as well as of wrestling itself, my mind is open to that. But in the moment? No, that's not acceptable to me. In the moment, I wanted to see Christian be hailed as Champion, to get the due he deserved and to let the crowd bask in the glow of the man they wanted to see as Champion atop the heap on the Blue Brand.

So no, I don't think it's unreasonable for fans of Christian's to be so upset over this. A lot of fans, and I mean A LOT of fans, were ecstatic about the new World Heavyweight Champion, and now? Well, that goodwill was either pissed down the drain or it was AT BEST a lateral movement onto Orton.

Although I will say this. Jericho's Tweet does again show the dichotomy between what fans care about and what wrestlers care about. No one knows whether Christian is pissed over the switch or not, and given that a good friend of his in the business came out and flatly said not to bitch about it, well, it's a good indication that maybe he's okay with everything. Again, we have no idea what wrestlers want out of the business unless they come out and say it.

But then again, my annoyance at the whole situation isn't because I was pissed for Christian not getting a long reign, it's because I wanted to see him get a longer reign. Big difference.

Remember you can contact TH and ask him questions about wrestling, life or anything else. Please refer to this post for contact information. He always takes questions!