Monday, March 11, 2013

Instant Feedback: They're Carnies, and I Love It

WWE is a bunch of carnies. No matter how much they move into the present and future, as long as Vince McMahon's influence holds sway, they will be a bunch of carnies. And I am oddly fine with that. I would feel very cheap saying something trite like "it's what you sign up for as a fan," because there are rules of decorum that even professional trolls like McMahon and his employees would and should adhere to. They've crossed that line before, but they're going to keep prodding regardless of what you or I think.

Does that make it right? I have no clue, to be honest. I really wouldn't begrudge anyone for being offended, because a guy just died and his memory was right away used to get heat on a wrestling story. I started welling up during the show intro tribute to Paul Bearer, from the video down to the look on Undertaker's face. They were trying to give catharsis to people who wanted to mourn a part of their fandom, although judging by at least one of the Touts they aired tonight (MY FAVORITE MOMENT WAS WHEN EDGE TORTURED PAUL BEARER LOL), I'm not sure the entire audience got why Bearer was important.

But when Taker was there, posing in front of the memorial screen, the tribute had run its course, I thought. It was the perfect time for Punk to come out, and so of course, he did. And I loved every moment of it. Maybe it's because my reflex to cope with pain is to want to immerse myself into entertainment, laughter, drama, tension. Or maybe it's because wrestling, for all it's kayfabe, is still the most real, most visceral form of entertainment out there. Hell, I think the emotional responses from a well-done wrestling story can be far greater than the ones gotten from sport, if only because you go into the show with the implicit knowledge that they are going to fuck with your head. It's such a meta way of enjoying the show, but I think I've grown accustomed to appreciating when they really bend the lines of reality into their own reality, if that makes any sense.

I've written at length about villainous characters and stories that may not need to be told. I'm not sure I'm comfortable watching wrestling tackle subjects like spousal abuse, and tonight, Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger for the first time started to feel a bit uncomfortable with their language towards Sin Cara (whom I hope is okay after smashing his face against the floor on that dive). But a cartoony supervillain showing up, interrupting a memorial service and stealing a maybe-it-is, maybe-it-isn't magical urn? That's some Memphis level shit right there. Give me a bad guy who does things that make me think he deserves to get his ass kicked in a wrestling contest instead of a jail cell. WWE has been so spotty at doing that lately, but tonight, they hit on every note. And it can't be said enough how awesome Kane was as the silently grieving but spilling-over-with-rage son was during this show either (and the guy who yelled "Say something?" Please, feel free to jab a rusty needle into various parts of your body).

Because of this being the top story, RAW felt like it should have flown by, especially with the amount of really goddamn good wrestling they presented and other moments, like the CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE HOSS KIND, Fandango actively trying to poach Naomi (I SHIP THAT SO HARD), the return of the Bella Twins after Brock Lesnar MDK'd the New Age Outlaws, and The Shield descending on Big Show like locusts. But they decided they wanted to center a huge chunk of the show around advertising for movies, both with trailer spam and with Wade Barrett, Miz, and Chris Jericho dedicating a Highlight Reel to such bullshit. Also, McMahon can use the rusty needle to jab himself with after Say Something dude is done for instructing his announcers to bury the segment. Bad or good, you don't fucking do that.

But then again, maybe if you're a carny who abides by a code that is as close to anarchy as you can get without actually being anarchy (anarchic code... what an oxymoron, I know), maybe that's the bad that comes with the good. Ribbing an entire segment in the ring to the TV audience is the inverse to what Punk, Taker, and Kane pulled off tonight. I guess I can't expect McMahon to rein in his awful habits, but I will say this. When those deception dealers are really cookin', I can forgive their missteps if what they do well is super well-done.

You don't have to agree with me, but man, that whole Punk/Undertaker thing was super well-done. It was pro wrestling distilled down into its purest form. Once in awhile, I want them to get controversial, because sometimes, riding the edge gives off the biggest thrills.