Monday, March 25, 2013

Thanks for the Memories, Now Let's Go Make Some More

Not related, but hey, Kaitlyn! American flag!
The Wrestling Blog passes two different milestones today. First, today is the site's fourth birthday. Four years ago today, I posted my first article, created the "triple h sucks" tag, and thus a movement was born. Whether it's an artistic tour de force like some idealistic lads and lasses out there think or a bowel movement like certain dirtsheet fans from across the pond, it's been a fun ride. Just as momentous, this is the 5000th post in blog history. I didn't plan to have the two milestones happen on the same day, but for the sake of me not spending too much of that free Google bandwidth on navel-gazing, I'm glad they did.

I have spent a good chunk of my life not only watching wrestling, but now writing about it in hopefully an intelligent manner. I started writing the blog for myself and because that's what I just liked to do to get away from the rigors of my math-and-science related day work. I'd be lying if I said I am still writing completely and totally for myself though. If no one read this page, I'd have ditched it. It's why I've been stressing participation in the TWB 100 so hard (by the way, have you gotten your ballots in yet?), why I have comments enabled, why I post articles to r/SquaredCircle, and why I'm so active on Twitter during the free, televised stuff.

I'd like to think I've spent the last four years and 5000 articles creating something of a track record for a different voice in pro wrestling commentary. That voice now isn't the same as it was in 2009. Hell, it's even been amplified by having Butch and Danielle aboard as regular writers. It's all about evolution, and I want to keep evolving and growing until I feel like I don't have the capacity to do so anymore.

So what does all this mean? Well, I it's really not a major signpost. Nothing's really changing on a fundamental level. It's good to look back and reflect every once in awhile though, isn't it? But one can't spend too much time reflecting or else you're going to fall in the pool and get all wet. So I look forward with my staff, my readers, the subject about which I write, and even my critics and see where I can go from here. As it turns out, the only place I can really go is forward, and that's where I want to go.

So yeah, that's my pledge to you. I am going to keep moving forward. That doesn't mean ignoring the past. I have been meaning to watch more classic wrestling. That's not the point, which I hope is that I will continue to try and look at all wrestling (and various off-topic stuff, natch) through current lenses, or through evergreen perspectives. Always strive for something resembling intelligence, insight, truth, and entertainment. Hopefully, you guys will all sign off on that and maybe tell a few friends to hop aboard.

Also, in an unexpected twist of serendipity, today is also Danielle's birthday. It's amazing that one of the writers that I have on staff happens to share a birthday with the site's anniversary. Please wish her a happy birthday, whether in the comments or on Twitter. Also check her work out at With Leather, and be sure to frequent her site, The Mandible Claw. She's doing good work, guys, and even independent of that, she's an awesome person who deserves your greetings and salutations.