Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Best of Steven Godfrey's Twitter Q and A

A veritable cool dude, according to Godfrey
Photo Credit: WWE.com
Steven Godfrey is an Ole Miss alumnus, a SB Nation writer, and a Twitter gadfly. However, most germane to this site, he's a former employee of TNA Wrestling. He had to sign a non-disclosure agreement upon leaving, but Monday, that NDA ran out, allowing him to answer any and all questions about his time in the company or about wrestling in general. The following are selections from said Q and A.

First up...
No surprise that Mick Foley was a sweetheart, but Mr. Kennedy/Ken Anderson? I'm surprised and I feel a little bad about dogging him until I realize he's just not good at the pro wrestling thing.

Next, a bit on Ric Flair and his propensity to bleed
Yeah, he's cut himself so many times that I'm pretty sure briskly furrowing his brow might draw blood.

Jim Cornette question ahoy!
Sounds like Corny.

Next, a question on dogs.
I'm not surprised by that answer, actually. EY seems like a big softie, in a good way.

Victory Road '11...
I'm not sure if this is Godfrey's opinion or just relaying the opinion of his higher ups at the time, but if Hardy was that needed at the time, then they would have paid attention to his drug habits.

Good question here.
And the follow-up...
For the clickophobes, the .gif linked to above:

Tell us how you really feel! On eating on the road.
I can attest to that in my limited time on the road for my day job. Your best bet for eating healthy is the rubber chicken at the fucking Applebee's on their "Weight Watchers" menu, unless you get a hotel room with a kitchen. But that usually means more money than what the company will pay for.

Finally, I had my own questions for the session, because of course I did.
I ask only the important questions, mack.

Okay, I had more of a serious one later on in the session.
That answer raises a little validity to reporting that folks like Dave Meltzer do, at least in regards to TNA. The fact that leaks exist make me wonder whether they're paid leaks or whether there are a bunch of chaotic-evil guys and dolls running around the office in Nashville spiting the bosses by leaking info to reporters. I guess that's fodder for a whole other post.

Anyway, give Godfrey a follow if you like wrestling and sports, college football especially. Also check out his piece on Mick Foley's standup career that was published WrestleMania weekend. Good stuff.