Monday, January 28, 2013

Promo School - Jake the Snake, Wrestlemania VI

Photo Credit: WWE.com

The plain and simple fact is that Jake the Snake makes me the saddest.

It’s very easy, as fans of wrestling who write about wrestling who are maybe somewhat tangentially associated with wrestling on a very small scale, to talk about THIS BUSINESS and how mean and hard and cruel it can be. We may know some current wrestlers personally, and see firsthand their struggles with finances, injuries, and interpersonal relationships in the independent circuit. We can assume and speculate and criticize all we want, but that fact is, none of us know the true hardships that wrestlers have faced, and will continue to face in the future.

Jake the Snake is known as much for his brilliant, psychologically intense promo work as he is for his failures. A man so consumed by his demons that any glimmer of hope that he can fight them off is quickly snuffed out by any one of his inebriated appearances, or reports of failed rehabilitation attempt.

For everything that he’s given me personally as a fan, and everything that he has inspired and contributed to the industry as a whole, I want to see him lead a happy, healthy, productive life just like I want to see anyone else do the same. After living such a tortured existence, often of his own making later in life, I want to hope for the best, see him reach his goal of health and sobriety, and have it stick. I don’t want his legacy to be just another tragedy of THIS BUSINESS. I want to celebrate his accomplishments, and not have them overshadowed by the grief and disappointment of actions driven by depression and substance abuse. Maybe I’m just a sap, and maybe I’m being “too nice” like I’m always being “too nice,” but I just want the best for people I care about, even if that relationship doesn’t extend past admiration and appreciation for a body of work.

Initially, this was just supposed to be about how much I loved the feud between Jake the Snake and the Million Dollar Man. How could I not? Here are two of my favourite wrestlers cutting promos and stealing belts and talking about how many different kinds of snakes Jake knows about, and it’s awesome. But I would be remiss in talking about Jake Roberts without discussing his current situation, so please forgive my digression. For a man who could inspire such a deep, emotional reaction with the softest of words, I can only hope that his current actions speak louder than anything he’s ever said. The road to redemption is long and hard, but maybe, just maybe, he’ll make it this time.

Until then, Jake – take us to school: